UNWTO Students’ League - What
THE UNWTO STUDENTS’ LEAGUE INITIATIVE
The UNWTO Students’ League, creates an innovative environment that helps National public and private sector stakeholders to foster talent development and obtain innovative sustainable solutions for the challenges they face. This initiative empowers and motivates travel & tourism students to get involved within the industry and participate in this world students tourism league getting real-time experience from the sector by creating and presenting innovative solutions for the challenges that the sector is facing nowadays. This tool also bridges the gap between students’ education and training and the realities of our sector because by working on creating these sustainable solutions, these young people then enter the labor market as highly qualified and skilled professionals capable of adapting to any situation that may arise.
Challenges are aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals, placing an emphasis on Goals 8, 12 and 14, in which tourism is featured and will match the SDGs requirements.
The 2021 Global UNWTO Students League
- 2 independent Challenges to choose from:
- Tourism for Rural Development
- Plastics Pollution
- Education Institution (11-13yr-old category) or Teams of students (categories, 14-18, Undergrads & Master degree) from the different participating Institutions compete against each other to come up with the best innovative ideas to resolve the challenges set
- Each Challenge will be created for a specific level of studies so that the Teams are competing at an equal level.
- The solutions will be presented in English
- The solutions given by the students will be evaluated by a jury.
- The top 4 teams at the end from each category will participate the corresponding online UNWTO Students’ League Final4 Competition.
- The winning solutions will be compiled in a UNWTO digital publication
- The winning Teams* will participate in UNWTO General Assembly and will have the opportunity to meet UNWTO Member State representatives and give the audience an insight into their thoughts about the Tourism Sector, it's future and how they see themselves in the sector in the future.
* in the case of 11-13 yrs-old category, the Institution representative (student) will participate.