6th Global Summit on Urban Tourism
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), at the kind invitation of the Ministry of Tourism and Culture, Malaysia, organized the 6th Global Summit on Urban Tourism: "Sustainable and Competitive Tourism on the New Urban Agenda" from 4 - 6 December, 2017 in Kuala Lumpur.
The UN system, through its joint statement to the HABITAT III Conference (October, 2016, Quito, Ecuador) adopted the resolution on the “New Urban Agenda” which addresses a shared vision and list of guiding principles and commitments for sustainable urbanization together with policies, strategies, planning and effective action to facilitate inclusive economic growth, structural transformation, innovation, job creation and the empowerment of the urban stakeholders.
Within this context, sustainable and competitive urban tourism highly contributes to the commitments of the New Urban Agenda as well as to the SDGs.
The 6th Summit provided the participants with an invaluable opportunity to explore the way forward on how to capitalize upon the opportunities for a sustainable and competitive urban tourism by clearly analysing the key factors and parameters for success.
The Summit promoted a globally shared vision and a strategic approach to re-address the tools to adapt to the new paradigms in urban tourism while achieving coherence among the tourism activities, urban development policies and the economic and social benefits for the local inhabitants through integrated planning, efficient governance, knowledge management and professionalism in operations.
- National Tourism Administrations/Organizations
- UNWTO Affiliate Members
- Local authorities, municipalities and international and/ or regional associations/networks of local authorities
- Urban DMOs and Convention Bureaus
- Travel trade representatives
- Cultural institutions
- Academic institutions, scientists and experts related to city tourism research
- Urban planners and architects,
- Transport operators and ICT providers ans Start-ups
Save the Date
The next edition of the UNWTO Global Summit on Urban Tourism will be held in Seoul, Republic of Korea, 17-19 September 2018.
1st UNWTO Global Summit on City Tourism, 2012, Istanbul, Turkey
2nd UNWTO Global Summit on City Tourism, 2013, Moscow, Russian Federation
3rd UNWTO Global Summit on City Tourism, 2014, Barcelona, Spain
4th UNWTO Global Summit on City Tourism, 2015, Marrakesh, Morocco
5th UNWTO Global Summit on City Tourism, 2016, Luxor, Egypt
- Summit Programme
- Information Note
- 1_0 Keynote Dr Joan Clos_UN-Habitat
- 1_1 Session 1 Marcio Favilla_UNWTO
- 1_2 Session 1 Dr. Ko Koens_CELTH
- 1_3 Session 1 Rassul Ilimbayev_Astana Convention Bureau
- 1_4 Session 1 Akel Biltaji_Abdali Group
- 2_1 Session 2 Noel Scott_Griffith University
- 2_2 Session 2 Chun Hoy Yuen_German National Tourism Board
- 2_3 Session 2 Mary Chen_Challenge Media
- 2_4 Session 2 Stuart Mendel_Lendlease
- 3_0 Session 3 Keynote Rafat Ali_Skift
- 3_2 Session 3 YB Danny_Penang.
- 3_3 Session 3 Ahn Joon Ho_Seoul Metropolitan City
- 3_4 Session 3 Li Baochun_WTCF
- 3_5 Session 3 Craig Astridge_IATA
- 4_0 Session 4 Esencan Terzibasoglu_UNWTO
- 4_1 Session 4 Enver Duminy_Cape Town
- 4_2 Session 4 Marcella Gaspardone_Torino
- 4_3 Session 4 Maria Laura Pierini_Buenos Aires
- 4_4 Session 4 Hong Zhang_Hangzhou.
- 4_5 Session 4 Masato Takamatsu_Tokyo_JTB
- 5_0 6th Global Summit Malaysia CONCLUSIONS