6th UNWTO World Forum on Gastronomy Tourism
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), Basque Culinary Center (BCC), VISITFLANDERS and the city of Bruges have the pleasure to announce that the 6th UNWTO World Forum on Gastronomy Tourism took place on 31 October - 2 November 2021 in Bruges, Belgium.
Held under the theme ‘Gastronomy Tourism: Promoting Rural Tourism and Regional Development’, the event focused on the contribution of gastronomy tourism to social and economic integration. It also highlighted its untapped potential for job creation, regional cohesion and sustainable growth.
Building on UNWTO’s work on advancing innovation across the tourism sector, the Forum represented a unique opportunity for experts from across the growing field of gastronomy tourism to share new ideas and best practices and place the two sectors at the center of plans for recovery.
Conclusions - Flanders' Call to Action
Get a glimpse of the Forum in this summary video!
Click the image below for the Forum's photos
Monday, 1 November 2021:
Setting the scene: Gastronomy Tourism and Rural Development - Keynote Speech by Peter de Wilde, CEO, Visit Flanders
(video: Opening Ceremony + Setting the scene)
Special Session on African Gastronomy Tourism - Keynote speech by Chef Dieuveil Malonga, Founder of Chefs in Africa and Finalist of the Basque Culinary World Prize (Rwanda)
Insights from a Chef: Resilience and Innovation - Chef Ana Roš, UNWTO Ambassador for Gastronomy Tourism (Slovenia)
- Insights from a butcher: The Future of Meat - Hendrik Dierendonck (Flanders, Belgium)
(video: Africa session + keynotes - startups challenge)
Scaling up for the SDGs: UNWTO Gastronomy tourism pitch challenge
- Teresa Agovino, CEO, Faroo (Italy)
- Sebastian Muñoz Amezcua, Co-founder and CMO, Rutopia (Mexico)
- Sira Plana Marín, Cofounder, Apadrina un olivo (Spain)
- Gustav Borgefalk, President and co-founder, Katla Aero (Sweden)
- Naomi MacKenzie, Co-founder, KITRO (Switzerland)
Tuesday, 2 November 2021:
Masterclasses on Gastronomy Tourism and Rural Development
Theme 1: Making gastronomy tourism an ally in environmental sustainability in rural areas
- Julia Goeschelbauer, Project Manager, Culinary Network Austria, AMA-Marketing (Austria)
- Caroline Baerten and Dries Delanote, Soilmates (Flanders)
- Vee Bougani, CEO, Sustainable Food Movement (Greece)
(video: Masterclass 1)
Theme 2: Culinary Craftsmanship – How gastronomy tourism can empower local communities and bring a new awareness about culinary traditions
- Stefaan Gheysen, Director of Westtoer & Filip Claeys, North Sea Chef (Belgium)
- Carlos Casares, Tourism Technician, Rubielos de Mora town hall (Spain)
(video: Masterclass 2)
Theme 3: Culinary innovation – culinary centres as drivers for innovation and development
- Begoña Rodríguez, BCC Innovation Centre (Spain)
- Sheila Russell, Head of Studies, The School of Artisan Food (UK)
Outside the box: Learning from Others
- Paulo Barata, Creative Director, AmouseBouche (Portugal)
- Abdulelah Al-Tokhais, Director of Research and Development Center, Saudi Heritage Preservation Society (Saudi Arabia)
- Champ Bouwman, Project manager, NBTC Holland Marketing (The Netherlands)
- Onur Gözet, Deputy Director General for Promotion, Ministry of Culture and Tourism (Turkey)
(video: Masterclass 3 + Outside the Box + Closing ceremony)
The closing event took place at Brewery De Halve Maan, an authentic family brewery in the heart of Bruges. The evening consisted of a tour of the brewery and a talk show with inspirational guests discussing topics such as local products and talent development in the gastronomy sector.