INSTO Asia Workshop
International Network of
Sustainable Tourism Observatories (INSTO) Asia Workshop
18-20 Nov 2019, Siem Reap, Cambodia
The UNWTO International Network of Sustainable Tourism Observatories (INSTO) was created in 2004 with the main objective to support the continuous improvement of sustainability and resilience in the tourism sector through systematic, timely and regular monitoring of tourism performance and impact and to connect dedicated destinations in order to better understand destination-wide resource use and foster the responsible management of tourism.
The Global INSTO Meeting has been successfully organized for three consecutive years since 2016 to offer already established observatories as well as interested destinations and other tourism stakeholders the opportunity to exchange experiences, learn about best practices and advance together in their monitoring efforts at the local level.
As a supplement to the Global INSTO Meetings of UNWTO, it is proposed that UNWTO and the Ministry of Tourism of Cambodia in collaboration with the Monitoring Centre for UNWTO Sustainable Tourism Observatories (MCSTO) will organize the INSTO Asia Workshop to further advance the dialogues among the established and potential observatories in Asia-Pacific region.
In this context, the workshop will start with an overall review by the Monitoring Centre for UNWTO Sustainable Tourism Observatories (MCSTO) , detailing its experience in establishing, managing and monitoring the existing 9 observatories in China. The Workshop will also encourage the current observatories in Indonesia and New Zealand to demonstrate their good practices in managing the sustainable tourism development. In so doing other potential observatories will gain a better understand of this initiative.
In technical terms, the Workshop will provide a platform for UNWTO to share information on the Measurement of Sustainable Tourism (MST) and the Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) Initiative in Tourism. In particular, UNWTO will report to the Workshop its latest findings on the integration of SCP into national tourism policies
In view of the foregoing, the Workshop is designed to
- Offer already established observatories as well as interested destinations and other tourism stakeholders the opportunity to exchange experiences, learn about best practices and advance together in their monitoring efforts at the local level.
- Gain better knowledge of policy and governance frameworks necessary to support the sustainable development of tourism
The workshop is targeted at:
- Representatives of National Tourism Administrations/Organizations in Asia and the Pacific region
- Representatives from Observatories already established in Asia and the Pacific Region
- Representatives from the interested destinations and other tourism stakeholders
- Officials and industry representatives from Cambodia
More details will be announced
- Preliminary Programme
- General Information Note