World Tourism Organization and Fundación ONCE Seek Best Accessible Destinations
PR No.: PR 19035
• UNWTO and Fundación ONCE launch the annual ATD Distinction, recognizing the world’s best accessible destinations
• Interested destinations can make their submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org until 30 June Deadline for submissions extended until 7 July 2019
Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2019 - The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and the Fundación ONCE have launched the first edition of the “Accessible Tourism Destination” (ATD) distinctions, which will recognize and promote sites that are accessible to all.
The aim is to publicize locations “that make an important effort so that their destination can be enjoyed by any tourist, regardless of their physical, sensory or cognitive abilities”, as indicated by the terms and conditions of the initiative.
In each edition a distinction will be awarded to a global destination, along with special mentions by type of destination. Urban, sun and beach, mountain, rural or cultural heritage destinations will be eligible for these distinctions that will be awarded annually.
How to enter:
• Period for submission of entries: 22 May - 30 June 2019 Deadline for submissions extended until 7 July 2019
• Send submissions to: email@example.com
• Required information:
• A report detailing accessibility projects and the current situation of the destination in this area.
• The accessibility of the following aspects will be evaluated: planning, prior information and reservations; transport for arrival/departure; accommodation; food and beverage services; urban and interurban transportation in the destination; tourism resources and public administrations of tourism.
• Jury: Composed of tourism destination management organizations, consumer bodies, business associations (hotels, food & beverage, transport, etc.), the World Tourism Organization and Fundación ONCE.
Telephone: +34 91 506 88 88; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
UNWTO Communications Department
Tel: (+34) 91 567 8100 / Fax: +34 91 567 8218 / email@example.com