The United Nations recognizes the World Tourism Organization as the appropriate organization to collect, to analyse, to publish, to standardize and to improve the statistics of tourism, and to promote the integration of these statistics within the sphere of the United Nations system.
“Official statistics provide an indispensable element in the information system of a democratic society, serving the government, the economy and the public with data about the economic, demographic, social and environmental situation.”
Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics
The UNWTO Statistics Department is committed to developing tourism measurement for furthering knowledge of the sector, monitoring progress, evaluating impact, promoting results-focused management, and highlighting strategic issues for policy objectives.
The department works towards advancing the methodological frameworks for measuring tourism and expanding its analytical potential, designs practical guidance for their implementation in countries, supports statistical strengthening in countries through capacity building, and compiles and disseminates tourism statistics of countries all over the world.
The overall mission of the Statistics Department consists of:
- Development of national Systems of Tourism Statistics (STS) following the International recommendations for Tourism Statistics 2008 (IRTS 2008).
- Design of the required guidance, initiatives and tools for the implementation of STS in countries.
- Advancement of the international comparability of tourism statistics.
- Dissemination of the Tourism Satellite Account (TSA) conceptual background for economic analysis and promotion of the UNWTO TSA in line with the Tourism Satellite Account: Recommended Methodological Framework 2008 (TSA: RMF 2008).
- Support to Member States in their efforts to advance the measurement and economic analysis of the tourism sector.
In this regard, the Department focuses its activities biennium 2018-2019 on:
- Collection, compilation and international comparability of tourism statistics and TSA.
- Translating the methodological framework into practical compilation guidance for countries.
- Advancing the methodological frameworks for measuring tourism, in particular for the measurement of sustainable tourism, in order to strengthen the normative role of UNWTO and in the framework of the SDGs and the need to monitor them.
- Permanent cooperation on statistics within the United Nations System, notably on Sustainable Development Goal indicators.
- Disseminating knowledge.
UNWTO systematically gathers tourism statistics from countries and territories around the world into a vast database that constitutes the most comprehensive statistical information available on the tourism sector.Statistical Data
The United Nations recognizes the World Tourism Organization as the appropriate organization to collect, to analyses, to publish, to standardize and to improve the statistics of tourism, and to promote the integration of these statistics within the sphere of the United Nations system.Standards
MEASURING THE SUSTAINABILITY OF TOURISM (MST)
With the support of the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD), UNWTO has launched the initiative Towards a Statistical Framework for Measuring the Sustainability of Tourism (MST).MST