Measuring the Sustainability of Tourism: Closing the gap between policy and statistics
Conference Room A, United Nations Headquarters, New York, Tuesday, 27 February 2024 (13:50-14:30)
UN Tourism, Statistics Austria, the National Statistics Institute of Spain, are jointly organizing in collaboration with UNCEEA, a high-level side event titled "Measuring the Sustainability of Tourism: Bridging the Gap between Policy and Statistics". This event will be held on Tuesday, 27 February 2024, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, under the auspices of the 55th session of the United Nations Commission.
Back on the agenda of the United Nations Statistical Commission since 2017, tourism statistics has undergone important developments amidst particularly challenging times for the sector. This side event will introduce the Statistical Framework for Measuring the Sustainability of Tourism, present pioneering country experiences that showcase its relevance and feasibility, and reflect on the lessons learnt from the integration of economic, environmental and social dimensions that characterize the framework.
- Ms. Clara van der Pol. Director a.i. Statistics Department, World Tourism Organization
- Ms. Zoritsa Urosevic, Executive Director, World Tourism Organization
- Ms. Elena Manzanera, President Statistics Institute (INE), Spain
- Mr. Tobias Thomas, Director General, Statistics Austria
- Ms. Graciela Márquez Colin, President, National Institute of Statistics and Geography, Mexico
- Mr. Claire Dennis Mapa, National Statistician, Philippines Statistics Authority
- Mr. André Loranger, Assistant Chief Statistician, Economic Statistics, Statistics Canada and Chair of the UNCEEA
- Report of the World Tourism Organization on tourism statistics (will be presented at the 55th session of the United Nations Statistical Commission as part of agenda item 4(a))
- Draft Statistical Framework for Measuring the Sustainability of Tourism