BOARD OF AFFILIATE MEMBERS
The Affiliate Members form an integral part of UNWTO membership with the objective of contributing to sustainable global tourism, in which knowledge and innovation are applied to making tourism more responsible and competitive, in accordance with the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism and the purposes and principles of the United Nations.
Affiliate Members have the status of Member of the World Tourism Organization in accordance with the Statutes of UNWTO and as explained in the Rules of Procedures of the Committee of the Affiliate Members available on page 81 of the aformentionned publication.
The organs of the Committee of the Affiliate Members are:
- The Plenary: The organ in which all Affiliate Members are represented, and shall be composed of all the membership, each having voice and vote. For more information, please refer to Article 6, Chapter 2 on page 70 of the Statutes of UNWTO.
- The Board of the Affiliate Members: The Board of the Affiliate Members acts as an advisory body to the UNWTO Secretary-General, responsible for the alignment of its members to the goals, mission and general programme of work of UNWTO as well as the design and implementation of the programme of work of the Affiliate Members.
Board of the Affiliate Members
The Board of the Affiliate Members is the representative body of all the Affiliate Members whose main functions are:
- to take such administrative and technical decisions as may be necessary between sessions of the Plenary and in absence of any contrary provisions of these Rules of Procedure, and to report to the Plenary at its following session, for approval;
- to provide recommendations and proposals to the Secretary-General for the preparation of the Programme of Work for the Affiliate Members and on any question regarding Affiliate Membership;
- to provide recommendations and proposals to the Committee on matters related to Affiliate Membership on the annual strategy and the main objectives of Affiliate Membership;
- to carry out any other tasks which may be entrusted to it by the Plenary or the Committee on matters related to Affiliate Membership.
Every four years, the Affiliate Members elect 12 Regional Members (exclusively by the Affiliate Members from the respective regions) and 8 Members of the Board of the Affiliate Members. Meanwhile, three Members of the Board of the Affiliate Members are designated by the Secretary-General. This Board is also chaired by one of its members, who is elected in accordance with Article 4(7) of these Rules of Procedure.
For the purpose of the composition and activities of the Board of the Affiliate Members and the election of its 12 Regional Members, the six UNWTO regions are Africa, the Americas, East Asia and the Pacific, South Asia, Europe, and the Middle East.
The Board of the Affiliate Members meets in ordinary session at least twice a year, with each meeting being convened with at least a one month notice, and with the provisional agenda established by the Secretary-General in consultation with the Chair of the Board.
Board of Affiliate Members 2022-2025
Chair: Asociación Empresarial Hotelera de Madrid – Ms. Mar de Miguel Colom , Executive Vice President (Spain)
First Vice-Chair: Camara Argentina de Turismo (Argentina)
Second Vice-Chair: Chameleon Strategies (Thailand)