UNWTO & ATM Ministerial Forum
UNWTO & ATM Ministerial Forum on Tourism's contribution to sustainable and inclusive economic growth and diversification in the MENA region
Under the patronage of H.E. Eng. Sultan bin Saeed AlMansoori, Minister of Economy of the United Arab Emirates
An official event of the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development 2017
Click on the image above for more pictures of the Ministerial Forum.
The UNWTO & Arabian Travel Market Ministerial Forum on Tourism’s contribution to sustainable and inclusive economic growth and diversification in the MENA region, brought together Ministers of Tourism and industry leaders in the MENA region to consider ways and means of capitalizing on Tourism growth in the region and building a sustainable ecosystem for the sector that would unlock its contribution to the fulfilment of their national agendas for GDP growth and economic diversification, innovation, entrepreneurship and productivity, job creation, human capital and infrastructure development, investment and export promotion.
The Forum addressed the following issues:
- Empowering evidence based decision making and accurate measurement of the contribution of Tourism to current and future economic growth - particularly as regards GDP, jobs and exports - and its multiplier effect on other sectors of the economy.
- Enhancing the contribution of domestic tourism alongside international tourism (especially intra-regional) in delivering sustainable economic growth from the sector.
- Main challenges and opportunities for securing investment in Tourism (FDI and domestic investment).
- Strategies and measures to strengthen Tourism’s resilience to external shocks.
- Ensuring that economic growth due to Tourism leads to the sustainable and inclusive development of host communities and the transition towards a green economy.
- Investing in technology - driven innovations to enhance performance and improve competitiveness.
- Policies to promote job creation and entrepreneurship.
- Strengthening the sector’s institutional framework, engaging and aligning key governmental role players on Tourism policy issues and targets and developing result driven partnerships with local and international stakeholders.