Benefits and Affiliation Procedure
Joining the UNWTO Affiliate Members allows your entity to achieve local, regional, national and global visbility through the network and channels of UNWTO. The Affiliate Members is a fundamental tool in increasing competitiveness of the private sector actors in the tourism sector.
What do we offer?
- Interactive Platform
The Affiliate Members offers an interactive platform for members to communicate and encourages collaboration and is exclusively available to Affiliate Members.
The UNWTO Networks serve as a venue for active collaboration where UNWTO Member States and Affiliate Members can interact, share and access relevant information. Furthermore, they can benefit from the platform to generate, disseminate and apply specialized knowledge in order to take advantage of the great potential to address pressing tourism-related issues of common interest from a variety of sectors. UNWTO Working Groups are open to members who wish to exchange expertise on specific tourism segments.
The UNWTO Affiliate Members serves as the major gateway for alliances and collaboration between the private and public sectors in tourism
- AM Newsletter
The AM Newsletter is a service that enables members to share their initiatives and projects with the entire AM community, establish contacts with prospective business partners and promote their services to other members.
- Use of UNWTO Affiliate Members Logo
Upon formal approval, Affiliate Members are allowed, and encouraged, to include the UNWTO Affiliate Members logo on their website and/or stationary to give visibility to their membership.
- Publications and Reports
The Affiliate Members publications, jointly produced with interested Affiliate Members, address topics of interest from the perspective of public-private partnerships to support the advancement of knowledge in tourism. Based on a compilation of Affiliate Members case studies and real-life examples, they can serve as models for many destinations and companies.
- Access to E-Library, UNWTO Barometer and UNWTO Statistical Data
The Affiliate Membership includes access to the UNWTO E-Library, offering an unparalleled coverage of research and information in the area of tourism and giving access to over 1,100 UNWTO publications including books, journals along with UNWTO Barometer and UNWTO Statistical data.
The established procedure to join the UNWTO Affiliate Members is the following:
- Fill out the “Affiliate Membership Application Form”
- Write a “letter of acceptance of the Statutes of UNWTO of commitment to the principles of the UNWTO Global Code of Ethics for Tourism”. The letter must be written on official stationery bearing the letterhead and seal of the applying entity. Please note that the name of the chief executive who signed the Letter of Acceptance must correspond with the signatory of the application form.
- Send the original version of these two documents to:
Mr. Ion Vilcu
Director of UNWTO Affiliate Members Department
World Tourism Organization (UNWTO)
C/ Poeta Joan Maragall 42, MADRID, 28020 – Spain
We advise to also send us the scanned copy of all documents prior to the shipment.
- Request a “letter of official support from the national tourism administration of the government of the state of residence of the applicant”. The letter must be written on official stationery bearing the letterhead and seal of the governmental authority, and be sent directly to the UNWTO to the above-mentioned address. We can provide you with the necessary information to contact the governmental authority of your country if needed (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Once the three aforementioned documents have been received and after verification of compliance with the established requirements, the application will be referred to the UNWTO Executive Council for approval, which will imply the recognition and coming into force of all the rights and obligations of the Affiliate Member. All applications have to be subsequently presented to the General Assembly at its next session for ratification, as stipulated in the Statutes of UNWTO.
- Upon approval of the application by the Executive Council, the entity shall assume its obligation to pay the prorated portion of the established annual contribution (€2,500) based on its date of admission.
- UNWTO recently joined the SEPA banking system (Single Euro payments area) in its modality B2B, which at present includes 34 countries (The list of countries is available here). SEPA is a system to carry out payments in Euro currency in a simple, secure and effective manner among entities based in Europe. It is accessible to accounts in banks abiding by the scheme B2B inside the European Economic Area (EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco and San Marino).
To this end, all affiliate members proceeding from these countries are kindly requested to fill in this form and return it to Ms. Mary Melgarejo (email@example.com) duly signed by the holder of the account or the authorized person allowing UNWTO to debit your account with the amount of your contribution.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.