14TH IFTM-UNWTO TRAINING PROGRAMME - CAPACITY BUILDING FOR SUSTAINABLE TOURISM THROUGH MEETINGS INDUSTRY
The IFTM-UNWTO Training Programme on “Sustainable Tourism through Meetings Industry” will be held virtually from 5 - 7 December 2022.
The meetings industry has many synonyms, ranging from ‘business events’ to the ‘conferences sector’, commonly referred to ‘the MICE industry’ in Asia and ‘the MEEC industry’ in the Americas, or sometimes just commonly called the ‘exhibitions industry’. Despite the diverse names given to the meetings industry, the impressions on one’s mind typically involve people in suits discussing business ideas in a meeting room, giving important presentations in a large auditorium or engaging in negotiations at huge exhibition centres. But the meetings industry also involves many other types of events such as variety shows and performances, team building and training activities, incentive experiences and catered events such as gala dinners and themed nights.
The 3-day training begins with a wider, strategic-level of topics involving considerations in organising and bidding events for a destination. It then moves on to operational topics which influence the feasibility and outcomes of business events. Investing in the meetings industry is both a financial and environmental - and sometimes social commitment of authorities involved in a destination tourism development. This programme aims to shed light on perspectives related to developing the meetings industry as part of a destination’s tourism portfolio, one that attracts local, regional and international delegates.
This collaborative training programme by Macao Institute for Tourism Studies with UNWTO is by invitation only and has been specifically designed for decision makers in ministries and administrations of UNWTO Member States in Asia and the Pacific together with participants from the Guangdong Hong Kong Macao Greater Bay Area.
Theme of the topics to be covered in this online training programme are:
Day 1: Selecting Event Destination
Day 2: Utilising Limited Event Resources
Day 3: Event Organisation in Modern Times
Upon completion of this training programme participants will be able to:
- Describe and explain how destinations use the meetings industry as part of its economic strategy, particularly involving both the tourism and events sector;
- Compare and contrast how to create unique destination image using events to create positive economic, social and environmental outcomes;
- Develop a sustainable tourism strategy through components within the meetings industry that align with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals; and
- Learn from case studies and experiences by speakers and participating member states on utilising the meetings industry as part of their destination tourism strategy.
Mr. Benjamin IONG
Regional Department for Asia and the Pacific
- 13th IFTM-UNWTO Training Programme
- 12th IFTM-UNWTO Training Programme
- 11th IFTM-UNWTO Training Programme
- 10th IFTM-UNWTO Training Programme