WEBINAR ON WORLD TOURISM DAY EVENT COLLABORATION by Sharjah Tourism
webinar organized by SCTDA and Skyline University College.
World Tourism Day is commemorated each year on 27 September, with celebrations led by United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). Its purpose is to foster awareness among the global community of tourism’s social, cultural, political and economic value and the contribution the sector can make in reaching the Sustainable Development Goals. In 2020, in line with UNWTO’s overarching focus on development of all communities, World Tourism Day will be a celebration on the topic ‘Tourism and Rural Development
OBJECTIVES OF THE WEBINAR
UNWTO foresees that domestic tourism will return before international tourism. Managed well, this could benefit rural communities, most notably through protecting livelihoods and boosting local economies. With this background, the objectives of the webinar are:
• To discuss the potential, issues and constraints of developing Rural Tourism in UAE.
• To discuss the roles of various stakeholders in promoting Rural tourism.
• To suggest ways for effectively involving local people in adopting tourism related occupations.
• HE Khalid Jasim AL Midfa (Chief Guest)
• Mr Kamal Puri, Chairman of Skyline International Group
• Mr Ian Phillips, Chief Executive Officer – Sharjah National Hotels
• Natalia Bayona, Director, Innovation, Digital Transformation and Investments, UNWTO
• Ms Fatima (Khorfakkan based tourism entrepreneur)
• Dr Mohit Vij (Moderator)