The United Nations recognizes the World Tourism Organization as the appropriate organization to collect, to analyse, to publish, to standardize and to improve the statistics of tourism, and to promote the integration of these statistics within the sphere of the United Nations system.
“Official statistics provide an indispensable element in the information system of a democratic society, serving the government, the economy and the public with data about the economic, demographic, social and environmental situation”
Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics
The UNWTO Statistics Department is committed to developing tourism measurement for furthering knowledge of the sector, monitoring progress, evaluating impact, promoting results-focused management, and highlighting strategic issues for policy objectives.
The department works towards advancing the methodological frameworks for measuring tourism and expanding its analytical potential, designs practical guidance for their implementation in countries, supports statistical strengthening in countries through capacity building, and compiles and disseminates tourism statistics of countries all over the world.
The overall mission of the Statistics Department consists of:
- Development of national Systems of Tourism Statistics (STS) following the International recommendations for Tourism Statistics 2008 (IRTS 2008).
- Design of the required guidance, initiatives and tools for the implementation of STS in countries.
- Advancement of the international comparability of tourism statistics.
- Dissemination of the Tourism Satellite Account (TSA) conceptual background for economic analysis and promotion of the UNWTO TSA in line with the Tourism Satellite Account: Recommended Methodological Framework 2008 (TSA: RMF 2008).
- Support to Member States in their efforts to advance the measurement and economic analysis of the tourism sector.
The United Nations recognizes the World Tourism Organization as the appropriate organization to collect, to analyses, to publish, to standardize and to improve the statistics of tourism, and to promote the integration of these statistics within the sphere of the United Nations system.Standards
UNWTO systematically gathers tourism statistics from countries and territories around the world into a vast database that constitutes the most comprehensive statistical information available on the tourism sector.Tourism Statistics Data
MEASURING THE SUSTAINABILITY OF TOURISM (MST)
With the support of the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD), UNWTO has launched the initiative Towards a Statistical Framework for Measuring the Sustainability of Tourism (MST).MST
COVID-19 AND TOURISM STATISTICS
With new situations emerging from the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic, some clarifications need to be made to the UN statistical standards on tourism to maintain as far as possible data consistency and international comparabilityCOVID