UNWTO systematically gathers tourism statistics from countries and territories around the world into a vast database that constitutes the most comprehensive statistical information available on the tourism sector. The database, updated regularly, is composed by the following sets of data:
Statistical information on tourism’s multiple facets is pivotal in advancing knowledge of the sector, monitoring progress, promoting results-focused management, and highlighting strategic issues for policy decisions. The Compendium provides statistical data and indicators on inbound, outbound and domestic tourism, as well as on the number and types of tourism industries, the number of employees by tourism industries, and macroeconomic indicators related to international tourism.
The Compendium of Tourism Statistics is a reference guide for the measurement and analysis of the tourism sector. Together with the Yearbook of Tourism Statistics, they constitute UNWTO’s main datasets and publications on annual tourism statistics.
These concern, on the one hand, an expansion in the number of countries and territories (over 200) regularly providing data and, on the other hand, a more extensive set of collected statistical data and indicators that are in line with current international methodological standards.
UNWTO compiles figures from national and international institutions such as national tourism administrations, national statistical offices, central banks, the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank and have undergone various checks from UNWTO that guarantee data reliability. The 2020 edition presents data for 203 countries from 2014 to 2018, with methodological notes in English, French and Spanish.
Understanding, for each country, where its inbound tourism is generated is essential for analyzing international tourism flows and devising marketing strategies, such as those related to the positioning of national markets abroad. The Yearbook focuses on data related to inbound tourism (total arrivals and overnight stays), broken down by country of origin.
Together with the Compendium of Tourism Statistics, it constitutes UNWTO’s main dataset and publication on annual tourism statistics.
Quick overview of contents:
- Border statistics
- Table 1. Arrivals of non-resident tourists at national borders
- Table 2. Arrivals of non-resident visitors at national borders
- Statistics on accommodation establishments
- Table 3. Arrivals of non-resident tourists in hotels and similar establishments
- Table 4. Arrivals of non-resident tourists in all types of accommodation establishments.
- Table 5. Overnight stays of non-resident tourists in hotels and similar establishments
- Table 6. Overnight stays of non-resident tourists in all types of accommodation establishments.
Arrivals data correspond to international visitors entering the economic territory of the country of reference and include both tourists and same-day, non-resident visitors. Overnight stays refers to the number of nights spent by non-resident tourists in accommodation establishments (guests).
Figures are compiled by UNWTO from official sources which may, in turn, obtain data from different sources: border statistics derived from administrative records (police, immigration, traffic counts, and other types of controls), border surveys and registrations at accommodation establishments.
The 2020 edition presents data for 197 countries from 2014 to 2018, with methodological notes in English, French and Spanish.
In addition to the Compendium of Tourism Statistics and the Yearbook of Tourism Statistics, and in order to complement the still relatively limited outbound tourism statistics provided directly by countries, UNWTO estimates data for countries’ outbound tourism flows (i.e. tourism of resident visitors outside the economic territory of the country of reference). This is done on the basis of data supplied by each of the destination countries and therefore corresponds to arrivals in these countries (and not to Departures data provided by the country of reference and compiled in the Compendium of Tourism Statistics).
In relation to the economic measurement of tourism, UNWTO has carried out a first compilation of TSA data as well as information regarding TSA implementation in countries in the publication TSA Data Around the World - Worldwide summary.
Quick overview of contents:
- The TSA project around the world: overall comments
- Present status
- Selected aggregates and tables results:
- Basic aggregates
- TSA related indicators
- Internal tourism consumption
- Tourism gross value added, by industry
- Tourism gross value added, by components
- Domestic supply
- Complementary information
- Understanding and measuring tourism economic contribution: basic glossary
Annex. Basic tourism data and macroeconomic aggregates
The Methodological Notes to the Tourism Statistics Database include conceptual references and technical notes for a better understanding and application of the statistics in this dataset.
How to obtain the data
- as annual CD-ROM editions please send an email to: email@example.com
- as annual PDF editions through UNWTO’s electronic library, the eLibrary
- as customized Excel datasheets (for any country and any period between 2014-2018) through UNWTO’s online Tourism Statistics application
- as Excel datasheets on CD-ROM (for all countries and covering the 1995-2018 or 2014-2018), please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org